The Baltimore class was the last war-time heavy cruiser class, and certainly the first heavy cruisers that were properly armoured and protected, at least in the U.S.
This class looked a lot like the Cleveland class, but its construction was delayed because the light cruisers received more attention. Only in April of 1943 was Baltimore commisioned, then carrying the same numerical main armament that the earlier heavy cruisers had, nine 203mm L/55 guns in three triple turrets. However, this class was already benefitting from the availability of 127mm L/38 twin mounts, and radar proximity granades for the same. With the powerful AA armament, of course larger than that of the Cleveland class, thanks to a larger hull, these ships proved to be secondary in their AA performance only to the fast battleships.
This resulted in the almost sole role of these ships, being the escort of the heavy and light carriers. Of the 14 ships of the class, only Canberra suffered damage, being hit by a torpedo from a Japanese plane off Formosa during the 1945 carrier raids.
The remaining ships, minus Quincy, participated in all carrier ops
they could (meaning those that began AFTER their commissioning). Quincy
spent most of her time in European waters, supporting the landings
in Northern and Southern France, and ferrying President Roosevelt to Europe
for two conferences. She only participated in the Okinawa ops in the Pacific.
9 x 203mm L/55 in three triple turrets, two superfiring forward, one aft.
12 x 127mm L/38, in six twin mounts, one forward, one aft, two on each side
48 x 40mm L/56
24 x 20mm
9 x 203mm L/55 as above
12 x 127mm L/55 as above
48 x 40mm L/56
22 x 20mm
Standard: 14.500 tons
Full: 17000 tons
Length: 205.3 meters
Beam: 21.6 meters
Draught: 7.3 meters
Height (Mast): 34.4 meters
Crew (Officers/Men): 61/1085
Speed: 33 knots
Ships in class
CA-71 Quincy (II)
CA-73 St. Paul
CA-131 Fall River
CA-135 Los Angeles
CA-136 Chicago (II)